About Jazz Group
Melodic Instrumentalists and Vocalists:
- (Instrumentalists only) Play a minor pentatonic scale and at least 6 major scales from memory.
- Play or sing one prepared jazz or blues piece at a medium or fast tempo.
- Play or sing one ballad of any style.
- Play a medium tempo swing groove
- Play a Latin style swing groove
- Play a funk groove
- Play a groove in 3/4 time
- Play a 12/8 shuffle feel
About The Instructor
Jay Sweet attended Berklee College of Music where he studied Jazz Performance & Composition. After receiving his B.A. in Professional Music, he continued his studies and received his M.A. in Jazz History and Research from Rutgers University. Since graduating, Jay Sweet has taught classes at Rutgers University, Middlesex College, and is currently a professor at Monmouth University where he teaches Jazz History, American Music History, Music Appreciation, and Bass & Mandolin instruction. As a musician, he has performed and recorded with several noted jazz musicians. Jay Sweet has also recorded four albums as a leader. In addition to teaching, performing, and running Sweet Music Academy, Jay is a published writer, guest lecturer, and a recipient of the Benny Carter Jazz Research Award.